Friday, 13 July 2012

6 Cumberland Arms

Visited on 16 May 2012
Here's the photo ...
... and here's the map

Just north of Crewe town centre, at the far side of the railway bridge at the bottom of Middlewich Street is the Cumberland Arms. It’s got two rooms either side of a central bar, one with a large side room off it. And this evening, despite showing the second leg of the Alex’ play-off semi-final at Southend on the big screen, I increase the number of punters by over 10% by walking through the door.

Make that well over 10%. And, wouldn’t you know it, it’s the first pub about which I have to make this statement.

NO CASK BEER

So what’ll it be? Er, it’ll have to be Guinness, then. This turns out to be the usual predictable nitro-keg pale shadow of what is recognisably stout but was dead on departure from wherever it was brewed. It’s bland and I couldn’t give a flying foxtrot how creamy and well advertised it is. But then I can remember pint bottles of Hey and Humphries bottled Guinness with the red tops (That’s enough nostalgia – Ed).

Then I notice that, had I volunteered for the dubious experience of sampling Marston’s UltraCreamy SuperKeg NitroLuxury NearlyBitter, it would not have been possible to satisfy my request. It’s off. And so, lager lovers, is the Carling, not that I want to go anywhere near the stuff. But one of the hardy souls in attendance would like some. “I’ve got cans for a pound” says the bloke behind the bar.

Er, what? I can get cans of Carling round at Asda, or even less than a hundred metres up Middlewich Street at the local Co-Op. Someone is taking the piss (I know, I know, as well as selling it).

There’s little point in a pub that only offers what you can get at the supermarket, and for goodness’ sake, running out of not one but two of Not Very Many Beer Choices – and on a quiet Wednesday evening – is downright unforgiveable.

The Irish feed for the live football was slightly eyebrow raising as well, but fair play to the licensee if it means less dosh for Rupe and his Troops at Sky. But all in all, this place is dire. Make that Capital D Dire. If you can’t do better than this, you might as well not open the place up.

As to why the Cumberland Arms is in the state it is, well, there will be more later. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

JUST TO INFORM EVERYONE WHO READS THIS I HAVE NOW BOUGHT THE CUMBERLAND ARMS AND HAVE REFURBED THE PUB TO A HIGH STANDARD WITH BIG SCREENS NEW POOL TABLES A LARGE VARIATY OFF BEERS AND LARGERS THE PUB IS NOW CLEAN AND FRIENDLY ENVIROMENT

SAM